If you’re keeping up with conversations about generative AI, you’ve likely heard of Jasper.ai.
In this post, I’ll cover its top features, show how it works, and explain the pros and cons of using this software.
What is Jasper.ai?
Jasper.ai is an AI writing tool designed to generate marketing copy, such as blog posts, product descriptions, company bios, ad copy, and social media captions.
The tool offers hundreds of templates to choose from, responding to many scenarios – like if you want to write a long-form blog post or need the perfect response to a review. It takes the stress of a blank page right out of writing.
Currently, Jasper.ai is best for marketers, offering advantages to companies of any size.
- Text and image AI generation
- Integration with Grammarly and other Chrome extensions
- Revision history
- Document sharing
- Multi-user login
- Plagiarism checker
- Brand voice customization
One additional feature worth checking out on Jasper.ai is the “Explain it To Me Like a 5th Grader” option. As the name suggests, this feature allows you to select the text that may be jargon-heavy and reword it to simplify it – enough for a fifth grader to understand it.
This is particularly helpful when writing about a complicated topic to an audience with limited knowledge. It helps you keep the essence of your sentence while increasing its accessibility.
How Jasper.ai Works
Choose a template.
Add your inputs.
How reliable is the output?
It depends on the content. I’ve found that Jasper.ai works well with tactical, step-based content that’s been well documented. It also does well with marketing copy, like social media captions and ads.
But if the topic is too niche – i.e. there’s not much documentation already out there – the information will likely be incomplete or could be wrong altogether.
What are the pros and cons of Jasper.ai?
- Generates in seconds – Seeing content appear out of thin air truly never gets old with generative AI. After a few simple inputs, you can have a full page of content to work with.
- Sounds natural, well-written, and accurate– What good is gen AI if the output isn’t good, right? Jasper.ai does a fantastic job of sounding natural and matching the tone you’ve requested while keeping it error-free.
- Fleshes out ideas – If you’re struggling to put pen to paper, Jasper.ai can help spark new ideas, new angles for your content.
- Affordable – Jasper.ai is a great option for a small business looking to scale up its content production with a limited budget. The first tier starts at $24/month for 20,000 words – enough to get most marketers started.
- Lacks personality and voice – AI can’t provide the experience and personalization that a human can add to a piece. While it can mimic tone, the output is often generic.
- Can require heavy editing – This con is only a con depending on what you’re creating and how you want to leverage AI. Some only want to use software like Jasper.ai for a rough first draft, so heavy edits aren’t a bad thing. For others who are looking for a more polished end product, you’ll get this more easily with shorter-form content.
- Struggles with niche topics – Jasper.ai seems to perform best with straightforward content requests. For example, it will likely do better writing a post on deleting your Instagram account than upcoming short-form video trends.
- No fact-checking – Jasper feeds you a compilation of what it finds online. So, if the information’s incorrect, guess what? Your output will be the same.
How much does Jasper.ai cost?
Jasper.ai offers 3 pricing tiers:
- Free trial – Jasper offers a five-day free trial with 10,000 word credits.
- Starter – Starts at $24/month for 10,000 words, over 50 templates, and is ideal for individuals and entrepreneurs.
- Boss – Starts at $49/month for 50,000 words, over 50 templates, and is ideal for marketers and small businesses.
- Business – This will require custom pricing and is ideal for teams and businesses looking to scale their content production.
Alternatives to Jasper.ai include HubSpot’s Content Assistant, Copy.ai, Writer, and Frase.